Gandahati waterfall is a marvelous tourist place of Gajapati District of Odisha, which has been attracting a large number of visitors during winter. This waterfall is 153 km far from Berhampur and 30 km far from Paralakhemundi. This place can be reached by Bus or by any vehicle through road but by train one can reach either Palasa or Paralakhemundi and from there, only by road we can reach the falls. As we go to falls, we find it covered with a dense forest all around. We need to cross small villages on the way to the falls.
A wooden bridge is over the stream to cross the path. There is a wooden fencing also from the turning point from where we enter into the falls area till the steps that take one near to the waterfall. A piece of garden is maintained for the amusement of the visitors with small benches and other swing and see-saw kind of things for children to play.
The stream is not so deep either, so that everyone despite their age can easily get into the water and play there. Huge rocks are one another viewpoint in this place where people can sit and enjoy the fall and take photographs.
Its known as Brundaban Palace, was made by the Maharaja of Paralakhemundi for their use during summer. It is situated on the bank of river Mahendratanaya surrounded by thick teak trees. The palace is three storied including an under ground floor. There an under ground connection to it with the main palace of Maharaja. The art engraved in this palace is worth seeing. Now it is under the control of Dept. of Tourism, Govt of Odisha. There is an orchard near to the palace.
People of Paralakhemundi and its near by towns use to visit this place during winter for picnic as well as for its scenic beauty.
Parlakhemundi was the capital of the Gajapati kings and was once known for its grandeur. Nevertheless the palace carries a rich legacy. Gajapati as a district was carved out of Ganjam district through the efforts of Krushna Chandra Gajapati Narayan Deo.
The late King Krushna Chandra Gajapati Narayan Deo is remembered for his contribution towards establishing Odisha as a separate province and inclusion of Parlakhemundi estate to Odisha. He was the first Prime Minister of Odisha when it separated from the Bengal and became an independent province in 1936.The Gajapati district is named after him.
The palace was constructed in 1835 by British architect Robert Fellows Chisholm. The palace is a delectable blend of Indo-Saracenic style combined with Byzantine and European architectural features. The features bore striking resemblance to the Buckingham Palace. The double-storey palace has around eighty well-ventilated rooms with spacious courtyards.
Amongst the distinguishing features of the Palace was the-large mounted metal bell located at the entrance. The palace’s centre of attraction is the stately Durbar Hall, consisting two main wings—Raja Mahal and Rani Mahal. Council meetings and royal functions were held in the Durbar Hall.
The palace, which symbolizes cultural centre of the state.However it remains an important symbol of Odisha.